As the underappreciated cousin of the banana, the plantain is often overlooked when picking out groceries. However, if you're looking to expand your horizons, they are inexpensive and make for some awesome pancakes. Dig into a couple fo these next time you want to get your starch on postworkout.
- 2 ripe plantains, peeled and mashed
- 1 large organic egg
- 1 tablespoon coconut cream/concentrate
- 1 tablespoon organic maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1½ tablespoons coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon ½ teaspoon Himalayan pink sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon allspice
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon coconut ghee (substitute coconut oil, ghee or grass-fed butter)
1. In a large bowl, combine plantains, egg, coconut cream, maple syrup and vanilla. Mix until the batter is smooth and wet.
2. Add coconut flour and spices to the wet mixture and stir for about three minutes to allow coconut flour to thicken.
3. Add coconut ghee to a large sauté pan and place on the stove-top over medium heat.
4. Using a ladle or large serving spoon, transfer plantain batter to the pan as you would pancakes.
5. Cook for three to five minutes on each side or until desired doneness.
Top with your favorite nut butter and/or maple syrup.
(per serving): 244 calories, 4 grams protein, 39 grams carbs, 5 grams fiber, 10 grams fat